I'm super excited to have a blog where you can read my opinions and recommendations for books. Tell me what you think! You can leave comments here, or email me at rtierney@bostonma.gov. Either way, I'll respond back to you soon!





Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Road Trip!

I think I may have already written this (maybe when I was discussing Amy & Roger's Epic Detour-loved that book BTW!), but I am such a huge fan of Road Trips. And, by extension, a huge fan of Road Trip books. So, I just finished The Miles Between by Mary Pearson, and I really liked it. The main character Destiny, has been shuffled from boarding school to boarding school since she was seven (she's now turning seventeen) and never lets herself get close to anyone. Then, on October 19th (normally a very bad day for Destiny) she makes a wish to have just "one fair day" where the good guys win and everything goes right. What follows is a beautifully written story about four teenagers who become friends (and maybe more!)during one very memorable road trip. This quick and fun read has touches of magical realism, and packs an emotional punch. I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried a little towards the end, I love it when I'm so vested in a book that it can make me cry. So bottom line-yes! I definitely recommend this book!  

No comments: