I'm super excited to have a blog where you can read my opinions and recommendations for books. Tell me what you think! You can leave comments here, or email me at rtierney@bostonma.gov. Either way, I'll respond back to you soon!





Thursday, June 16, 2011

Creepy!!


Yikes! This one rates pretty high on the creep-o-meter. The House of Dead Maids by Clare B. Dunkle is a prelude to Wuthering Heights, telling the story of Heathcliff as a boy. The main character, Tabby Akyroyd is hired from an orphanage and brought to Seldom House to serve as a nursemaid for young Heathcliff. Seldom House turns out to be a ghoulish, haunted home located on the desolate Yorkshire moors. There is no shortage of ghosts, spirits and mystery in this story, and the epilogue serves as an intriguing historical note, lending the story an eerie credibility. Clare B. Dunkle also has an author Web site, with a whole section devoted to the House of Dead Maids. It features pictures, some back story and more, and is definitely fun to explore if you want to know more about the story. My only advice? Don't read it late at night! 

No comments: