I'm super excited to have a blog where you can read my opinions and recommendations for books. Tell me what you think! You can leave comments here, or email me at rtierney@bostonma.gov. Either way, I'll respond back to you soon!





Monday, June 13, 2011

How much is too much?


So, a recent editorial article/opinion in the Wall Street Journal sent ripples through the world of Young Adult literature. The author was questioning the level of explicit abuse, violence, and depravity in current YA fiction. Many authors and librarians looked on this article as an attack, and proceeded to defend YA fiction with everything they had. Me? Well, I find myself in a very strange position indeed. I see both sides of the issue, and I think there are valid points to be had for each side. As luck/karma would have it, I was reading Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeevs when I read this article. Talk about gore, violence, strong language, sexual situations, self-mutilation and more. This book has it all, and I have to say, at times it seemed excessive. I did not love this book, I felt like it was violent just for violence's sake, and I had a really hard time empathizing with the heroine, Hannah. I feel like the author wanted her to be a racier, more modern Buffy, but she just fell flat for me. The author had a lot of great ideas and creativity, and Reeves is definitely a good writer, but I could not embrace this story. This is most definitely a read for older teens.


But, back to the Wall Street Journal article, I do think there should be a variety of YA books available in every topic, and I know that many children and teens have lived through difficult, sometimes horrifying experiences. Having books with characters they can relate to is essential. The choice of reading material is a freedom that should never be taken away. I think it all comes down to a matter of personal preference and choice. While people can make all kind of suggestions and recommendations about what you should read, at the end of the day, you control your own destiny.

No comments: