I'm super excited to have a blog where you can read my opinions and recommendations for books. Tell me what you think! You can leave comments here, or email me at rtierney@bostonma.gov. Either way, I'll respond back to you soon!





Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Getting my Game on!


OK, Celtics. Win or lose, I admire you as a team, and I'm totally rooting for you, but I have to pay my respects to your elders. I just finished When the Game Was Ours by Larry Bird, Earvin (Magic) Johnson Jr. and Jackie MacMullen. Here's a synopsis from the Publisher
  
"From the moment these two players took the court on opposing sides, they engaged in a fierce physical and psychological battle. Their uncommonly competitive relationship came to symbolize the most compelling rivalry in the NBA. These were the basketball epics of the 1980s--Celtics vs Lakers, East vs West, physical vs finesse, Old School vs Showtime, even white vs black. Each pushed the other to greatness--together Bird and Johnson collected 8 NBA Championships, and 6 MVP awards and helped save the floundering NBA at its most critical time. When it started they were bitter rivals, but along the way they became lifelong friends." 

Whew! Talk about intense. I found myself really enjoying this book. I know, I seem to be on a roll with the sports non-fiction. Anyway, if you're a fan of basketball, or just want to know more about these two dynamic, larger-than-life rivals, this is the book for you. I highly recommend this!

No comments: