I'm super excited to have a blog where you can read my opinions and recommendations for books. Tell me what you think! You can leave comments here, or email me at rtierney@bostonma.gov. Either way, I'll respond back to you soon!





Saturday, May 14, 2011

If Wishes Grew on Trees....

...the Celtics would still be in the playoffs, I wouldn't be able to afford Sox tickets, because they would be first in their division. Alas, I don't have endless wishes on hand, but what would I wish for if I really had 3 wishes? Enter Viola & Jinn in the Young Adult Novel As You Wish by Jackson Pearce.


I recently finished, Sisters Red, another Jackson Pearce book and I have to say that I love her writing style. That being said, my feelings about As You Wish are mixed. Overall, I enjoyed it, and I would recommend it to readers. It a fun, easy read with a happy ending, but I wish Viola had been a little stronger, and believed in herself a little more. I'm not sure what I thought about the dual narration (Jinn & Viola alternate chapters). Sometimes it jarred me a little, and seemed discordant, then other times, I didn't even notice that the narrative perspective had switched. I did like a lot of the secondary characters, and I think Pearce does a good job capturing the high school experience. Also, it's kind of nice to read a supernatural romance that has nothing to do with werewolves, fairies, zombies or vampires!   

No comments: