I'm super excited to have a blog where you can read my opinions and recommendations for books. Tell me what you think! You can leave comments here, or email me at rtierney@bostonma.gov. Either way, I'll respond back to you soon!





Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Godfather Part II, Empire Strikes Back and Queen of the Dead...


...what do these three things have in common? They were all awesome sequels! A rarity for sure, granted more rare in movies than in books, but kudos to Stacey Kade. Queen of the Dead picks up where The Ghost and the Goth left off without skipping a beat pulling readers right back into the (mis)adventures of Will and Alona. While I really enjoyed this book, there were a few snags. I feel like too many new ideas/concepts were introduced. There is a lot happening for both Will and Alona, but their stories develop almost independently of each other. I think that the Will & The Order storyline should have been the main focus, and gotten more time. The scene in the old movie theater seemed especially rushed. I'll try not to give too much away, but the whole Alona/Lily thing could have been a separate book. I will admit that the two storylines come together in the end, but I was left very unsettled. I don't really like what happened to Alona (being deliberately vague here, trying not to give anything away), but you can bet I'm going to read the next book in the series! If you've read these books, e-mail me & tell me what you think about the Alona/Lily situation.

No comments: