I'm super excited to have a blog where you can read my opinions and recommendations for books. Tell me what you think! You can leave comments here, or email me at rtierney@bostonma.gov. Either way, I'll respond back to you soon!





Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sci-Fi??

I finally read Across the Universe by Beth Revis. From the moment I saw this book, I knew it would only be a matter of time before I read it, the cover was that good. But how to classify it? I guess mainly Sci-Fi, but there is also a dystopian theme running through the novel, as well as some fantasy, romance and mystery thrown into the mix. The premise? 17 year-old Amy is frozen along with her parents, and others as "cargo" aboard the spaceship Godspeed. They will be awakened in 300 years on a new planet.

But something goes horribly wrong and Amy is unfrozen and awakened 50 years early. Was it a mistake? A malfunction? Or was someone trying to kill her? Amy is sure the answer lies with Elder, the future leader of the ship, who is himself wrapped up in his own struggles with his mentor and the current leader of the ship, Eldest. This book is an intriguing tale of mystery and romance as Amy and Elder find themselves falling in love, and fighting for their lives. Revis does a great job of painting life and conditions on the spaceship, and the horrors of a controlled society. There really are no easy answers to the very difficult questions that are raised throughout the book, and it should give people plenty to think about and discuss. It is also the first book in a planned trilogy, and I can't wait for the next one!  

No comments: