I'm super excited to have a blog where you can read my opinions and recommendations for books. Tell me what you think! You can leave comments here, or email me at rtierney@bostonma.gov. Either way, I'll respond back to you soon!





Monday, August 22, 2011

On a Serious Note

 I know, I read a lot of books that are fun, fluffy and light. But every now and then, I try to balance it all out. Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky was recommended to me a few years ago, and I finally read it. Irene Nemirovsky began working on this novel in the early 1940's while living in Paris, where she was a successful writer, but also a Russian Jew. What makes this story especially poignant is that in 1942, Irene was arrested and deported to Auschwitz: a month later she was dead at the age of thirty-nine. When she was arrested, she had completed two parts of her story, and her daughters took the manuscript with them into hiding.

Fast forward sixty-four years later and Irene's work has finally been published and translated. This novel follow the stories of several groups of people as France is occupied by the Nazi's during World War II. If you're looking for a clear, succinct novel with a definitive ending, this is not the book for you. This novel is more of a narrative, not quite stream-of-consciousness, but comprised of several vignettes, loosely connected. There is not really an "ending", but I feel that this book is invaluable in capturing the essence of a people, of a nation, as they face the unthinkable. This book is not a Young Adult book, it is categorized as adult fiction and deals with mature themes and events. However, anyone with an interest in History, especially that of WWII, would benefit from reading this. 

No comments: