I'm super excited to have a blog where you can read my opinions and recommendations for books. Tell me what you think! You can leave comments here, or email me at rtierney@bostonma.gov. Either way, I'll respond back to you soon!





Monday, April 25, 2011

It's Official! I would make a horrible boy...

So, I did it. I read a "boy book." It was called The Gentlemen by Michael Northrup. A male author, a manly name...and male characters...what more could I ask for? Well, maybe a book that I liked. Ouch, I know, that's kind of harsh. I didn't hate this book, but I didn't love it either. (OK, a quick aside...by now you all know about my obsession with book covers. No lie, it took me forever to realize that the boy on the cover was in a body bag. To borrow a Ron Weasley quote, "How thick can you get?")


Back to the story, this book focuses on four friends, Micheal, Tommy, Mixer and Bones, who excel at underachieving. After an altercation with a teacher, Tommy goes missing, and what follows is a suspenseful story that spirals towards disaster. I will admit, as I read this I was anxious and wanted to know what really happened to Tommy, and I found myself wondering how far Micheal, Mixer & Bones would go to find out the truth. This is an unsettling book, that doesn't give any easy answers, but overall, it fell flat for me. I'm not giving up though. In fact, I'm about to start Trapped, which is by the same author. You know I'll keep you posted!   

No comments: